He has been called ‘The Weir-wolf’ and a ‘Paralympian Superhuman’, but multi-medal winning athlete David Weir CBE is now making his mark as an Olympic speaker with an incredibly inspiring story to tell. It begins with the fact that despite having a severed spinal cord, he entered the London mini-Marathon when he was just eight years old, not in a racing wheelchair but in a standard day chair.
Audiences love to hear how David went on to take part in four Paralympic Games, winning handfuls of medals. At Athens in 2004, David won a silver in the 100m and a bronze in the 200m. At Beijing in 2008, he won four medals – golds in the 800m and the 1500m, silver in the 400m and bronze in the 5000m. At the 2012 London Paralympic Games, the Olympic speaker earned golds in the 5000m, 1500m, 800m and the marathon.
David Weir can also be seen at most London Marathons and in 2012, he won the race for the sixth time; part of the reason that his 2009 MBE was upgraded to a CBE in 2013. In an interview, the Olympic speaker David said that the Paralympic Games are no longer about disability. He added: “People just want to see athletes performing at their very best. We’re superhumans and phenomenal athletes.”
To book David Weir as the Paralympic speaker for your corporate event, function or conference, simply contact the Champions Olympic Speakers agency by filling in our online contact form. Alternatively, call a booking agent directly on +44 1509 85 29 27.
See David in action here:
When featuring at events David is known to discuss such topics as:
- Overcoming Adversity
- Sporting Success
- Peak Performance
- Drive & Determination
- Motivation & Inspiration
Over the course of his career David earned the following achievements:
- Gold medal at the 2005 Helsinki IPC Athletics European Championships
- Three gold medals at the 2006 Assen IPC Athletics World Championships
- Two gold medals at the 2007 Visa Paralympic World Cup
- Two gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Paralympic Games
- Four gold medals at the 2012 London Paralympic Games
- Three gold medals at the 2011 Christchurch IPC Athletics World Championships
- Gold medal at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games
- Three gold medals at the 2016 Grosseto IPC Athletics European Championships